Karen Romano Young

From the desk: Doodlebug: My Novel in Doodles and Humanimal Doodles, a science comic in print and on the web.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Doodled Interview with Ben Hazell






To say that there are some amazing doodle artists and writers out there is an enormous understatement. In the nearly-a-year since Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles came out, I've done a stack of doodling workshops. And I've found that:
• Just about everybody has a picture or symbol or word or SOMETHING that they doodle over and over again.
• Although lots of people get in trouble for doodling in school, like Dodo does, most people seem to agree that doodling makes it easier for them to listen and focus.
• Kids love to discover the power of doodle-writing to tell their own stories or to help them illustrate their stories.

Today I'm happy to share with you page one of the doodle-written fantasy Zombie Unicorn by Ben Hazell, age 12, whose animations and comics are brilliant and beautifully drawn.

After reading Doodlebug, Ben took a shot at doodle-writing and came up with Zombie Unicorn. I interviewed him about this work, using doodle-writing to do so -- of course! Our interview follows, and at the end of this post, I'll put the rest of Zombie Unicorn.






Here's Ben's response:












And what are those two things?






I completely identify. I asked:




Ben doodled on:







I had a few favorite items in Zombie Unicorn:







I wanted to know what else Ben was working on.



He's got a lot going on, including:






We were both tankful to have had this doodled conversation:








Here's the rest of Zombie Unicorn. TOO. MUCH. GREATNESS. Thanks, Ben!








No comments:

Post a Comment